Monday, April 9, 2012

Naming Decker Shaun Condie




Naming him was harder than we thought. We pretty much ignored the topic for 9 months and about 2 days before he was born tried to come up with a few names. I kinda thought Dylan, because we had bought a sippy cup on sale with the name on it, why not right? then he was born, we named him Coleman for about a day. the next morning we both decided that wasnt his name so we voted. We had six names up: Coleman, Dylan, Bentley, Decker, Cooper, and I already forgot. then we all picked our favorite three and vetoed 1. all of us picked Decker in out top 3 except Kailey vetoed it... dilemma.. even Ellie said "deck" so she cried, and cried and said "it wasn't fair and that was the ONLY name she DIDN'T like" poor her! we may have a bit of drama heading our way. So we told her to hold him, try not be biased and call him each name on the board. When she angrily called him Decker he stirred and all the kids said "HE MOVED!" and Kailey gave in "FINE, i guess that's his name" and it was settled. I was planning on giving him my dad's middle name, i figured carter had shaun's dads middle name (Glenn), the girls had a family member. but sorry Dad, J didn't make the cut. we were so close, but then Jacob got all huffy, "I'm naming my baby J, you Can't" followed by some mood swing, (I wonder where kailey gets it!) We almost did it anyway, but figured why not name him after his dad, Shaun... we almost did it sean just to spice it up a little, but then that would just defeat the purpose of naming it after him? So after a few temper tantrums, a name change and the hospital making us put it in gold before we could leave the hospital, honestly, they wouldn't let us leave without a name, and they said if we changed it, it would cost and probably screw up our medical benefits? he got his name, and it seems to fit, other than we sometimes call him Dexter...(that's not his name, but we do call him Decks, or Dex)
When Shaun put Decker out there the first time, we googled it, its not even a real name, he just kinda made it up so i said no, but we can pretend he is going to be big into tools one day and got his name from Black and Decker? my brother in-law had a good one saying we could find him at Lowes or Home Depot. good one Andy, if that was the worst people can think of to make fun of his name, we'll take it, but i'm sure kids can think of a bit meaner...

2 things people say:

Kelly A. said...

Oh, he is absolutely perfect! I just want to jump through the computer screen and hold him :) And looking at your blog is now making me want MY due little baby boy to get here even sooner!

Eve said...

You are such a cool mom. I think I am way too much of a control freak to let my children help pick a name. I love this story and his name.