I decided I want to be a fun mom this year... the feeling comes and go, so i am capitalizing and being pro-active! so here is a list of our traditions we are starting this year (most of these ideas are stolen from other more creative moms, so I am posting them so other people can steal them too.)
1. Advent Calendar: after searching high and low i found a wooden advent calendar. (i went to oh... 7 stores, not a joke!) so go to target and find one, better yet, order it online! what I did: i filled each day with an activity, i.e paint toenails, popcorn and a movie, go get a treat at the gas station, ect. and then i put little treats in the box so when they open it they get a treat and an activity. Day 1=success. we got candy lipsticks and made Christmas chains.
2. The Elf on the Shelf: i found this and thought it was so cute! you hide the elf around the house and the kids look for it each day. I told Kailey Santa called me and told me he is sending a tattle tale elf and should be here any day. she's REALLY excited!
3. 25 days of Christmas books: see picture above. I found all the Christmas books i had and then got the rest from the library and numbered them so they open the ones that have to be returned first. each night they get to open a Christmas book and we read it. They know what it is but don't know what book, and opening a present is fun. we also have a church Christmas story they read each night we got from my dad a few years back.
4. Secret Santa: we haven't decided who but we are doing Secret Santa to a family. I told Kailey and Jordan they get to pick and told them the "idea" that they get to sneak presents to people without being caught. it will be fun
It seemed like a lot of ideas but written down not that many.. we'll see if i can keep them all up and still remain in a happy mood. I'm trying to Have the Christmas Spirit.
Side note: over Thanksgiving, Ryan and I both came up with the same idea separately. (so it must be a keeper!) Why can't Christmas be in the end of January? then you have time for thanksgiving, can enjoy a holiday at new Years, and get an extra month of winter knocked out of the way. It seems like you look forward to Christmas why not make the season longer? Then when its over its like, "oh good, only 3 more months of winter," instead of 4. anyone else agree? We were thinking we should just switch it, i mean. we'd get after Christmas specials??

3 things people say:
I'm going to steal your Advent calendar idea. It sounds like more fun then the lame one we are currently doing.
And, I totally have all my Christmas books pulled to wrap. I'm a little late, but Grace and George won't have a clue.
I think you should just move to CA and we can be neighbors and Christmas can be in December and you don't have to worry about when winter is over. :)
i should just move to california! being neighbors would be fun!
OMG! You're prego! Wow! Can I have some of your water?
I'm going to be working at a vascular clinic with some cardiologists- not quite the fun OB stuff but at least it's something. Maybe they'll let me bring you in to practice on!
I totally forgot that you babysit! I totally need someone to watch my son!!! I think I have someone but if she falls through can I call you??? This working mom thing kinda sucks but hopefully I'll stay positive and keep working so my husband can finally finish school.
Do you know what you're having yet?
Post a Comment